Starting and running a business

Are you planning, starting or running a business in Hobsons Bay? If so, there are a range of resources to help you to launch, grow and expand your business.


Accessible Business

The Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission website provides information for landlords, business owners, managers and shop staff to improve their accessibility and ensure customers can easily access premises, goods and services. The website includes a range of fact sheets and outlines the legal obligations of your business. For more information click here

Accommodation and Rooming House Registration
If you provide accommodation on a fee paying basis to 4 or more people, or if you are buying an already established business, you are required to register with Council. For more information, please contact Council's Public Health unit at or call 9932 1000.

Business directory

If you are running a business in Hobsons Bay, make sure you list it on the Hobsons Bay Business Directory. The Directory is free for local business owners. Click here for more information or to submit your business details.

Business workshops

As part of its suite of economic development programs, Council delivers an annual calendar of business workshops and events. From starting a business, to business planning and networking, there are a range of programs on offer to suit the various stages of business. For more information, click here.


Footpath trading

All local traders must comply with the Footpath Trading Code of Practice, to ensure there is clear, safe and unobstructed access for pedestrians of all abilities on footpaths in Hobsons Bay. For more information or to download the Footpath Trading Code of Practice, please click here.  


Opening a New or Purchasing an Existing Food Business
The Food Act 1984 defines a food business as any place where food intended for public consumption is sold, offered for sale, handled, prepared, packaged, stored, served, supplied, repackage, transported or dispensed. Such premises must either register with or notify the council in which the premises is located. For more information, click here or contact


Permits, Licenses and Registrations
The Australian Business License and Information Service (ABLIS) helps you find the government licences, permits, approvals, registrations, codes of practice, standards and guidelines you need to know about to meet your compliance responsibilities. If you are starting, operating, growing, or closing a business, ABLIS will reduce the run-around and give you the time to get on with business.


Personal Care and Body Art Business Registration

A personal care and body art business must be registered with the Council under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. Activities that require registration include hairdressing, beauty therapy, manicure/pedicure, waxing, electrolysis, ear piercing, body piercing, tattooing and colonic irrigation. For more information about starting or purchasing a personal care and body art business, please click here or contact Council's Public Health unit at

Victorian Business Information

The Business Victoria website is a great tool for accessing business information, advice, news and events, and has been created specifically for businesses operating in Victoria. For more information, click here.


View and Apply for Tenders
View tenders on the Hobsons Bay City Council e-tendering website at


Wyn Bay LLEN provides information to young people, their parents and the agencies that deal with them including schools, ACE and TAFE about educational programs and employment opportunities within Wyndham and Hobsons Bay.


If you have any questions about doing business or investing in Hobsons Bay, contact Council's Economic Development unit on 9932 1000 or email